MEAD PhD Residency - British School at Rome
The Mead Rome PhD Studio Residency joins the existing programme of Mead Scholarships and Fellowships which support UAL students in the pursuit of excellence through their creative practice and research. It is open only to current PhD students of UAL.
The Mead Rome PhD Studio Residency joins the existing programme of Mead Scholarships and Fellowships which support UAL students in the pursuit of excellence through their creative practice and research.
It is open only to current PhD students of UAL.
Following a generous gift by photographer and philanthropist Scott Mead, UAL has for some years offered Mead Scholarships and Fellowships to its students and recent alumni. This new Rome PhD Studio Residency extends the programme of Mead Awards to PhD students, providing them with a 4-week residency in a studio at the British School at Rome.
The Residency Programme
The Mead Residency will give 3 PhD students who are practice-based and who will be able to utilise the studio the valuable opportunity to live and work at the British School at Rome (the BSR). The BSR offers studio, living and library facilities, as well as the chance to join its vibrant community of scholars and artists. This is a superb opportunity for students to research and focus on their work away from normal pressures, and to use the BSR as a base to explore Rome.
The residencies will take place in September 2018, and the arrival and departure dates are 1-28 September.
The residency is uncatered but award holders will be permitted to sign up for lunches and dinners at standard student BSR rates which will be charged to them as taken.
In addition to their use of the studio, award holders will receive £200 to help to cover their travel and subsistence costs.
Award holders would be expected to become 'ambassadors' of the programme, for example by attending relevant showcasing and promotional events and presenting their work.
2018 launch event
A Pop Up Common Room event is being held on Monday 12 February at 3pm to 4.30pm in Room A002 at Central Saint Martins for all PhD students planning to apply for this year's residency.
MA students are also welcome to attend the event where last year's PhD Mead Rome Residents will be giving presenations of their experiences.
Application deadline is 16 March 2018 at 5pm
Pitch date is 24 April 2018, 10am to 1pm - Finalists pitch to Judges panel (in the afternoon)
Pop Up Common Room Monday 12 February 2018 at 3pm in Room A002 at Central Saint Martins - Previous residents share their experiences and there is a discussion about the 2018 opportunity.
Detailed eligibility and conditions
1. Eligibility - UAL post-registration PhD students who are practice based and will be able to utilise the studio.
Applications will be open to individuals irrespective of their nationality or country of residence.
- In your application, please give an account of how a residency at the BSR would benefit your studio practice and your PhD project, how you plan to use your time there and contribute to the BSR research community. The BSR research statement highlights/stipulates that it welcomes ‘Practice led research in fine art that engages with the research ethos and community at the British School in Rome.'
- This statement must be submitted as a 2 page PDF with a 500-word text, plus images.
- Please include the name of your Director of Studies in your application. If you are shortlisted your DoS will be contacted for a letter of recommendation.
- Please indicate any months you could not do if your application is successful.
- Send your PDF to email@example.com by 5pm, Friday 16 March and title your email ‘Mead/Rome’.
- The deadline for the application is 5pm, Friday 16 March.
3. Selection of Award holders
The evaluation panel will comprise 3 members, at least 2 of who would be senior members of the University’s academic community. The panel, process and administration would be managed by UAL’s Department of Careers and Employability.
Up to 5 candidates will be shortlisted and invited to attend a 20-minute interview on 24 April, between 10am and 1pm.
Decisions will be announced within 14 days of interview. The decision of the panel will be final.
Read the reports from previous Mead Rome PhD Residency holders on the Postgraduate Community Blog.